- The Welfare Cost of Lawlessness: Evidence from Somali Piracy, joint with Tim Besley and Hannes-Felix Mueller. Journal of the European Economics Association, Volume 13, Issue 2, pages 203 – 239, April 2015.
Broader coverage: Washington Post, Financial Times, Foreign Policy, VoxEU, IGC
- Group Lending Without Joint Liability, joint with Jon de Quidt and Maitreesh Ghatak. In Journal of Development Economics, pages 217-236, May 2016.
- Take what you can: property rights, contestability and conflict, joint with Samuel Marden, Economic Journal, Volume 127, Issue 601, 757–783, May 2017.
- On the Comparative Advantage of U.S. Manufacturing: Evidence from the Shale Gas Revolution, joint with Rabah Arezki and Frank Pisch, Journal of International Economics, Volume 107, 34–59, July 2017.
- Who Voted for Brexit? A Comprehensive District-Level Analysis, joint with Sascha Becker and Dennis Novy, Economic Policy, 32(92), 601–650, October 2017.
Broader coverage: The Guardian, Politics Live, El Diario, Indy 100, VoxEU
- Market Structure and Borrower Welfare in Microfinance, joint with Jon de Quidt and Maitreesh Ghatak, Economic Journal,Volume128, Issue610 May 2018 Pages 1019-1046.
- More than an Urban Legend: The long-term socio-economic Effects of Unplanned Fertility Shocks, joint with Amar Shanghavi and Oliver Pardo, Journal of Population Economics, October 2018, Volume 31, Issue 4, pp 1125–1176.
Broader coverage: Centre Piece
- Commercialization and the Decline of Joint Liability Microcredit 2016, joint with Jon de Quidt and Maitreesh Ghatak, Journal of Development Economics, Volume 134, September 2018, Pages 209-225.
- Who Voted for Brexit? Individual and Regional Data Combined, joint with Eleonora Alabrese, Sascha Becker and Dennis Novy, European Journal of Political Economy, Volume 56, January 2019, Pages 132-150.
- Social Insurance and Conflict: Evidence from India, EOPP Working Paper Number 53, 2014. An earlier version entitled “Can Workfare Programs Moderate Violence? Evidence from India” was circulated as Working Paper in October 2013 and as EOPP Working Paper Number 53, 2014.
Broader coverage: The World Bank, Feature Story, International Growth Centre, Ideas for India, India at LSE
- Fracking Growth, CEP Working Paper 1278, 2014.
Broader Coverage: RES, Britain in 2015, LSE United States Politics Blog
- Has Eastern European Migration Impacted British Workers?, joint with Sascha O Becker, CAGE Working Paper, 2018.
- Did Austerity Cause Brexit?, CAGE Working Paper, 2018.
Broader coverage: 20Minutes, AlJazeera,Bloomberg, Barrons, Brookings, City AM, Expansion, Express (1), Express (2), Financial Times, The Guardian (1), The Guardian (2), The Guardian (3), The Herald, Holyrood, Huffington Post, Independent, iNews, Le Monde, New York Times (1), New York Times (2), Spiegel Online, The Times (1), The Times (2), Wall Street Journal.
- Cohesive Institutions and Political Violence, joint with Stephan Kyburz, CAGE Working Paper, 2018.
- Security Transitions, joint with Oliver Vanden Eynde and Austin L Wright, CAGE Working Paper, 2018.
- Who is NOT voting for Brexit anymore? joint with Eleonora Alabrese, CESifo Working Paper, 2018.
Broader Coverage: Business Insider, The Independent, New York Times.
- Did Eastern European immigration cause an increase in anti-European sentiment in the UK?, joint with Sascha O Becker.
- Why an EU Referendum? Why in 2016?, joint with Sascha O Becker.